I love hatch chile season! Around this time of year, our neighboring state New Mexico harvests and ships these delicious chiles to Arizona for us to roast and spice up some of our favorite dishes (they are grown in a town called Hatch). They are calorie and cholesterol-free and high in fiber and vitamin A & C. Roasting them is the best way to bring out the flavors. It’s fun and easy and really balances out the flavors in many dishes. But be careful – they can be hot!
Roasting Hatch Chiles
* – from azcentral
1. Because touching fresh chiles can sting the skin, it’s best to wear disposable gloves when handling. Select chiles that are firm to the touch and devoid of puckering, a sign the chiles are beginning to deteriorate. Wash well and dry.
2. Place chiles on a grill and roast about 3 minutes until the skin begins to blister. The key is blistering the skin without cooking the chile.
3. When chiles are blistered on one side, use long tongs to turn them. Continue until the chiles are generously blistered on all sides. Place in a plastic bag, seal and allow to sweat for about 5 minutes. Sweating loosens the blistered skin.
4. Place chiles under running water and gently “pop” or pull off the stem. Use your fingers to remove the skin.
5. When done, the chiles will be ready to chop and use in your favorite dish. Or wrap well in freezer-proof bags, and the chiles will keep for up to a year, or until next year’s fresh harvest.
Speed Scratch Hatch Chile Cornbread
* – from Shockingly Delicious
1/3 cup milk
2 Hatch chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 (8.5-ounce) box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
Heat oven to 400F degrees. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
In a 4-cup measure, add milk. Add egg and whisk well with a fork to combine. Stir in chiles. Stir in corn muffin mix, just until moist. Do not overmix. Allow to rest undisturbed for 4 minutes for maximum crown.
Restir slightly and scrape into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes, and serve warm.